March 10, 2017

IF I CUT IT - I MUST STITCH IT (GINGER JEANS)...


...finally cut the Ginger Jeans pattern that I've had in my stash since '14 or '15.  This is taking some real nerve for me people. 
You know I muslin, so for my trial run pair (now don't laugh), I'm using a giraffe print stretch denim that I picked up to play around with during Hancock's going out of business sale.  I still want to cry whenever I say that word - "Hancocks" so I just whisper it.


I did wash the fabric in coke and it did soften up more.  I washed and dried three times reluctantly.  It's a novelty print of sorts, but if these puppies fit I WILL be styling them (where I don't know). 

I am learning a lot already.  I cut on a single layer for the legs and mirroring the back and front pieces.  My pattern weights came in really handy because trying to pin was a real "no go".  I am not a rotary cutter, but in this case my pieces were cut in a jiffy using it.  Stitching will start this weekend because of my self inflicted rule:  "if I cut it - I must stitch it".  I am really excited about the process...


21 comments:

  1. After my first pair of jeans I became addicted to sewing them! You may end up enjoying this! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I will become addicted too Judith.

      Delete
  2. It is looking good so far! Good luck with the muslin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun print for a muslin! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front pockets had me wondering if I COULD do it Diane. I installed them wrong I later found out, but they are in and functional. I'll do better on the real pair.

      Delete
  4. Faye, I think this print is wonderful - and for a muslin it will be quite wearable afterwards, even if only at home. I've pulled out my pattern now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. I WILL WEAR THESE if I can get them to fit.

      Delete
  5. I'd wear that print in a hot second. I hope the muslin turns out, because I'd LOVE to see these on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcy. I'm working slow due to work but I am determined to see this through.

      Delete
  6. Love that print; can't wait to see your jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun print! And, like you, I'm still in mourning over the passing of Hancock's. I drive by the old store every day on my way to work...the sign is still on the shopping center marquee... :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they took the Hancock's sign down here. I don't think I appreciated them enough!

      Delete
  8. Jeans in a fun print? Wonderful! WHich rise are you using? High or lower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bunny. I'm doing the high rise.

      Delete
  9. You may be surprised-- the giraffe print might be quite wearable. Eagerly waiting to see the finished jeans! And... what's that about washing in coke? Please explain! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they are wearable Samina. The thing about washing the denim in coke is that it softens the denim up - and it did work. I used two 16oz. bottles in the detergent section of my top loader when I did it. Although I washed and dried the denim 3 times, I only used coke in the first wash.

      Delete
  10. Oh I hope they turn out! Giraffe print jeans would be so fun. I bet with your neutral Toaster Sweater they'd look fabulous! The jeans I wear most often are a sateen with a giraffe texture. They're a neutral tan, but they're still really fun. Have fun stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck Faye! I am sure your jeans will turn out great in that fun giraffe print. The way I see it, if you can make a coat, you can make a pair of jeans. Jeans are just pants with lots of topstitching. I started making the Ginger Jeans months ago sometime in November, but I stopped working on them because I had so much going on and finally picked them up again last weekend. I look forward to seeing your version!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...