November 19, 2016

BLOGLIKECRAZY 2016 DAY 19: Where Are They Now...

...it's Melanie Darling still has that "IT" factor!  You know, that certain something that you just can't quite put your finger on but you know that it's there.  That certain Jenesaisquoi!, is exactly what she has.   Now, please don't get it twisted, I don't down my sewing ability one little iota, but I have to give credit where credit is due - Melanie Wise - is in a sewing league all of her own!  Now Melanie, do you purposely dragggggg out the pronunciation of D-a-r-l-i-n-g? - cause that's the way I imagine it should sound!
 


Melanie, have you learned, or are you using any new techniques since we talked a year ago?
MELANIE:  Properly lining garments. I don’t line garments often, because I live in Florida and garments for myself I chose not to line, even if they call for a lining. Especially knits, because I use heavier knits most often for my garments, like Ponte and Double knits. Because I have been sewing more for clients I have had to line more. I like my clients to have well-made garments that look like they came from Nieman Marcus. Fully lined. 

I took the time to do some research and learn how to do the bag lining method for jackets and coats. Here is a link to one of the best illustrated methods form Grainline Studios: https://www.grainlinestudio.com/2012/01/09/sewing-tutorial-how-to-bag-a-jacket-lining/ and Threads: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4366/bag-your-jacket-lining/page/all. I studied and practiced both of these linksand I love the results.
  
What are your must have items to make for the Fall/Winter season?
  MELANIE:  
Comfortable T Shirt dresses with Kangaroo pockets and sweater Hoodies. For me they are so comfortable with jeans and tights. I love to be comfortable and cool. I do a lot of running around on the weekends, and I want to be able to be chic and quick. LOL.

Also, blazers, I love how blazers can be casual and dressy just by changing your accessories and coordinating garments.

What sewing patterns are you most excited about right now?
MELANIE:  The Pattern I am coveting now is Vogue 8865. The Jacket and Shorts View A & E. I have it cut and can’t wait to make it. I have so many patterns, I don’t know where to start. I am a Frankenpattern person so I will cut and mix and match to death. I really don’t have a favorite though, I am a lover of all things Vintage and I adore my vintage patterns.

 I follow closely for regular updates from Melanie because there is always something new going on with her.  You can find her at:
FaceBook
Instagram, and 
Twitter...

11 comments:

  1. I love Melanie's style posts! She made a rose flowered top to die for and she wont give it to me! Ill keep trying and watching her posts! Thanks Ms. Faye gor letting us meet our sew sistas up close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For letting - i hate typos

      Delete
    2. Carol you are so very welcome! Melanie is one of my FAV sew sisters too!

      Delete
    3. Carol, I can't find you nowhere without trying to talk people out of their fabric or garments...SMH. Run Melanie! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Another great interview! You follow the most interesting people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my fitness teammate right there, Faye!#TeamSewFit
    Great interview. My goal is to make me some "run around pieces so I,too, can dress quick and still be chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! Ms. Melanie is definitely a women of style and grace! I am definitely a subscriber of all her social media! She is one of the great inspirations that can get me out of my "sewing rut" any time she posts!!! I love her creations! I feel we are kindred spirits too...both in Florida and I don't always line my clothing either for the very same reason she does (that and my "hot flashes, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Melanie! She is just so fly and her work is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/20/2016

    Nice interview Faye. You and Melanie are on my go to all the time-here and IG! Thanks for sharing more insight on this wonderful seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post on Melanie! I love her sewing and her blog posts.😄

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...