November 23, 2015

#BLOGLIKECRAZY DAY 23: SOCIAL MEDIA - ENTERTAINMENT OR FULL-TIME JOB...

...  I have learned so much about social media platforms this year, but there is still just as much to be learned.  My teenage students are amazed whenever I join in on their social media conversations.  They say "whattttt!" when I say oh yes, and I  ALSO have a blog.  (Although we cannot follow each other until after they graduate.)   I do enjoy social media because it sort of opens the world to me and puts me in touch with so many new people.  With all the beeping and whistling of notifications, I often have to ask myself - is social media entertainment for me, or is keeping up with all of it becoming a FULL-TIME JOB???.

I find myself involved in:

INSTAGRAM  I came late to the party buy I've actually fallen deeply in love with Instagram!.  Although I basically post (is it called posting there too?) sewing related content  I THINK  I've built quite a "presence" there as #TheSewingGourmet (lol). Posting my gourment cuisine has been so much fun.  It's sort of funny when follower's try to invite themselves to dinner after I post one of my dishes.  But the most impressive thing happened when another sewing blogger asking for one of my self created recipes by Instagram message.  I was so flattered.   So my IG posts document my sewing projects as well as the foodie side of me.
.

PINTEREST  And I can't say enough about the sewing inspiration, helpful hints and tips and recipes that I've found on Pinterest.  It's a virtual gold mime of categorized information.   I really need to organize my Pinterest boards but that's another story for another day.  Guess what my most re-pinned pins are?
I don't spend half the amount of time as I use to here, but I love knowing where to find my information when I need it - on one of my 105 Boards- that's where.  My plan is to connect my blog to Pinterest even more in the days to come.

FACEBOOK  Who isn't on Facebook?, it's an all time fav of many, I know.  It's quick, it keeps you updated on all the goings and comings of friend's and associates, and some people also use it to promote not only their blogs but their businesses as well.  I must admit that FB and IG has messed me up a bit with their "like/love" buttons.  It's so quick to just "like"  something and keep it moving or have the option of  commenting if you want to.



TWITTER  For some reason I've had a bit of a learning challenge in dealing with Twitter.  Working with it has not come as easy as working with the other platforms for me.  For one thing, I can't remember my password!, and when I request a reset the link always leads me to a non-working reset page, huh?  I have; however, discovered that I can use it easily from my Android so I have just recently started tweeting.  Hopefully I'll get more use from it in the days to come.

Now, PERISCOPE - now that's  a whole nother ball game.  I'm still a bit startled whenever I hear my phone whistle during the course of the day - and night for that matter.  When I hear it, I can't help wonder "who's live", even if I can't watch at the moment.  Although I've not done my first "scope" I am quite a watcher and follower (Is that a form of lurking?).  It could be my sewing teacher from Houston, Texas; or the Bridal Couturier from Augusta, Georgia; or the Fashion Designer from Charlotte, North Carolina who just made her FIRST winter coat in just 7 days when it too me a full month to make mine.  There's just no telling who it might be.  Oh my goodness, of all the social media platforms - right now this is my FAVORITE!  I've had to learn to scale down on Periscope early in the game.  As not to get pulled down the "rabbit hole" as I initially did with Pinterest, I've decided that I just don't have to watch every suggested scope - I'd never get ANY work done if I did.

And last, but certainly not least my baby, my blog FAYE'S SEWING ADVENTURE!  As you can imagine, this blog ranks first on my list of my social media involvement.  I've nurtured this platform since February 10, 2007 (almost 9 years).  Who would have thought it would have held my interest for that long?  It seems like only yesterday that I discovered sewing blogs and  said "oh, I want one of those".  I've learned so much about blogging and and have really worked on this thing.   It has grown and even evolved just a bit, and is a wonderful method of chronicling my sewing progress.   Oh, but I do have lots and lots of  plans for expansion one step at a time.  I really appreciate your tuning in to watch and read because you actually help me to grow!  

What is your social media platform of choice, and why...  


19 comments:

  1. My drug of choice is Instagram. I like finding new and interesting hashtags. What's your IG name? Would love to follow you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey all of them have me hooked! IG name fayedoll!, I'd be happy to follow you too!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I'm an Instagram junkie too! It seems like I learn everything there these days. But I'm impressed that you're on Periscope...haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet but probably because my daughters keep going please don't snapchat or periscope! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Periscope is becoming a sewing MECA!, I'm learning so much and when you catch live scopes you get to ask questions right them and there. Very helpful!

      Delete
  3. I'm mostly on instagram and facebook. I use pinterest very very sparingly. I got rid of my twitter YEARS ago and I don't have any plans to get it back because it took up SO much of my time. I don't even want to hook myself to periscope lol

    I find too much social media, for me, takes my focus off the things that are more important. I'm less "present" wherever I am and I don't want to miss out on what's actually going on around me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so understand Tasha. I use all of them as learn tools.

      Delete
  4. I am on all the social media outlets you are on. Currently my rabbit hole is periscope. .. love meeting new people and love the live streaming. Periscope gives you a irl connection unlike the others. I had to remove the notification whistle... b/c I would get suckered in and lose track of time...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You re exactly right Sheila. I do like having the ability to watch the replays within 24 hours and have just discovered the rewind feature that is very helpful too.

      Delete
  5. I am on all the social media outlets you are on. Currently my rabbit hole is periscope. .. love meeting new people and love the live streaming. Periscope gives you a irl connection unlike the others. I had to remove the notification whistle... b/c I would get suckered in and lose track of time...lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! I'm not on FB. I have a Pinterest acct but I just am not sucked into it like most people. I just got on IG at the end of August and I *love* it!!! Twitter is fine. I've watched a few periscopes. I've been blogging for almost 8 years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading your blog Kyle - after all you are one of my main cheerleaders and I thank you for that! I am only now just trying to learn how to use Twitter.

      Delete
  7. My son Jeffrey signed me up for FB so I could keep up with his posts. My other kids friended me, as did a few other people. I don't have (nor do I want) a smartphone, so none of those other outlets would really work for me...not that I have time these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my second smartphone Marjie. Hated both when I first got them, now I'm addicted to them. I know you are busy and I ALWAYS look forward to seing your holiday shopping list and menus!

      Delete
  8. Oh my Faye! I'm late to the game on all of it!! However, I made it a goal of mine to get in the game on a few of the social sites. So far, I'm actively on FB, Pinterest & IG. I just started Twitter today and will be up on Periscope this week. I believe that's more than enough for now so "Snap Chat" wll have to wait a while unless someone tells me I "NEED" to get on, LOL! I love these many different platforms to showcase your talents and see what's going on with others as well. You definitely can can "sucked in", but if you discipline yourself, it could be a lot of fun too!! Great post Faye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra. And you are so right discipline is what we all need in dealing with all forms of social media.

      Delete
  9. Best place to find my fun live entertaining, interactive, and educational vides is on periscope. Besides my Youtube channel...it is now my second love to instagram. Actually, I like it better than any of them, mainly because I like to "talk" to people when I'm in the mood. When I teach...I like to know someone is really learning from what I am saying. Than I just upload it to my youtube channel. How about that for real and unscripted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning so very much from you Andrea and thank God for you too!

      Delete
  10. Faye, I am so enjoying reading your Blog Like Crazy Posts!! BTW, thanks for being a supporter on each of my social media platforms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooo glad you enjoyed my posts, daily posting has been hard but I'm determined to get to the finish line. You were a really big help! Thanks for taking your time to help. I wouldn't know what to do if I could no longer see you and Andrea on Periscope!

      Delete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...